This pie is a combination of a shepherds pie, a gozleme and a potato bake. I did set out to make more of a gozleme with lamb, but then the thought of sliced up crispy potato on top was too good to leave out.
A couple of years ago, I would rarely cook with silverbeet. This all changed about 18 months ago when we decided to plant some rainbow chard (colourful silverbeet) in the garden to make it look pretty, then all of a sudden we were inundated with silverbeet, so I started googling and experimenting and getting creative.
The filling itself does not look overly appetising, but it sure does taste good!
As far as the kids go with this one, the inclusion of the currants and feta seem to assist in getting at least half of their dinner into them, which is a good start. Oh, and the sweet potato and potato always get eaten. I will continue to persist because the flavours are great and it would make me really happy if they learn to love this, cos we do!
This is a relatively simple dish and can be made in advance and heated to brown the potato just before eating.
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 400g lamb mince
- 1 tbs sweet paprika
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 bunch silverbeet, stalks trimmed and leaves chopped
- 100g feta
- 300g reduced fat ricotta
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbs currants
- 1 tbs pine nuts
- 1 medium potato
- 200g sweet potato
- Salt and pepper
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Peel sweet potato and potato and add to boiling water. Cook for ~10 minutes. Drain and run under cold water. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200°C and prepare a pie dish.
- Heat large frypan with a lid over medium heat. Add oil, and when hot add onion and garlic and cook for 4-5 minutes until translucent.
- Add lamb and cook for 5-6 minutes or until brown, breaking up the large pieces.
- Add spices and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add lemon zest, juice and silverbeet and mix to combine, place the lid on and cook until silver beet begins to wilt. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Rehydrate the currants by pouring boiling water over them until they are just covered, leave to sit for 10 minutes.
- Toast the pine nuts in a small fry pan until starting to brown.
- Add ricotta, feta, pine nuts, currants and salt and pepper to lamb mixture and mix well. Place into prepared pie dish.
- Thinly slice the potato and sweet potato and arrange on top of the filling. Add salt and pepper if desired and spray with olive oil.
- Cook for ~45 minutes or until the potato starts to brown.