Not many things beat a good slice, especially one that really hits that sweet spot and satisfies the sweet cravings.
This slice is inspired and slightly adapted from The Healthy Mummy’s Healthy Peanut Bubble Crunch Slice. Although, I don’t necessarily agree that the word ‘healthy’ should be in the title as it really isn’t. Just because it uses coconut oil and rice malt syrup in place of butter and honey doesn’t make it healthy – these are still fat and sugar respectively and are calorie dense. So don’t be fooled by the word healthy in recipes.
I have opted to add in some oats in place of some of the rice bubbles in the chocolate layer to make it a bit more wholesome and add some more fibre to the slice (still not making it healthy). This slice doesn’t require baking and can be made in about 10-15 minutes plus about 30 minutes setting time. It goes really well with a cuppa and is definitely a sometimes food.
The kids helped me to make this (ate most of the rice bubbles) and we ended up with rice bubbles squashed ALL over the floor, but they had fun and needless to say they loved the slice. The chocolate on top makes it richer and more decadent slice, but can be left out and would still be delicious and satisfyingly sweet, still not a healthy choice, but definitely part of a healthy balanced diet. 🙂
Enjoy in moderation xx
- 2 cups rice bubbles
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 2 tbs cocoa
- 80g chocolate
- Line a small baking tray (15cm x 20cm) with baking paper.
- Place 1 1/2 cups of rice bubbles into a medium sized bowl.
- Place remaining rice bubbles and oats into another medium sized bowl and stir to combine.
- Place rice malt syrup, vanilla and coconut oil into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until the coconut oil is melted. Remove from the heat and stir in peanut butter until smooth.
- Place 2/3 cup of the peanut butter mixture into the bowl with rice bubbles and stir well to combine.
- Place the cocoa into the remaining peanut butter mixture and stir until combined. Mix into the bowl with oats and rice bubbles and stir well to combine.
- Press the chocolate mixture into the bottom of the prepared tray. Press well into the tray and smooth out using the back of a metal spoon.
- Place the remaining bowl of rice bubbles on top of the chocolate layer and press well into the tray, using the back of a metal spoon to smooth out.
- Place into the fridge for ~30 minutes to set.
- Once set, place chocolate into a microwave proof bowl and heat for ~ 1 minute to melt the chocolate. Stir and return to the microwave for a further 30 seconds if not quite melted.
- Once melted, spread over the top of the slice and return to the fridge for 10-15 minutes to set.
- Once set, cut into 3cm x 3cm squares.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.