Apologies for the lack of activity on What’s Prue Cooking of late – between being away and the whole family coming down with a bout of gastro, creative cooking has not been high on my list of priorities, but I’m back!
On Friday night, we had some good friends round for dinner and we decided that a Mexican Feast would be a great idea, and it was! We LOVE Mexican food, and if you have the right ingredients and a little bit of time, it is a cuisine that is so flavoursome and impressive, yet very simple to prepare.
Our menu consisted of Chicken Tostadas with Smoked Paprika Mayo, Crab Tostadas, Char-Grilled Corn and a Mexican Bean Salad. The tostada recipes were a Masterchef and an Epicurious recipe, respectively (see links) and the bean salad and the corn, I created myself.
If you haven’t had tostadas before, I highly recommend making some or ordering some next time you are at a Mexican restaurant – they are essentially a corn chip topped with so much freshness and flavour! They make a great starter or in this case a key component of a main meal.
The kids were not part of this deliciousness (which meant I could add a little extra chilli/jalapeno), but I know that if it were served up to them, they would love it. They are crazy about Mexican food.
This meal is a great one for entertaining, as pretty much all the components can be made in advance and all that needs to be done while your guests are there is to assemble to tostadas and grill the corn.
Mexican Bean Salad
- 1 tin of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red capsicum, diced
- 1 small yellow capsicum, diced
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 lebanese cucumber, diced
- 1 punnet of cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cob of corn, kernels removed
- 4 radish, thinly sliced
- 1 small jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 large handful of coriander, finely chopped
- 1/2 an avocado, diced
- 1 corn tortilla, roughly chopped
- Vegetable oil
- Zest of 1 lime, finely grated
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs white vinegar
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place all the chopped vegetables, except avocado, and black beans into a bowl and stir to combine.
- To make the dressing, place all ingredients into a small bowl and stir well to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well to combine. Refrigerate, allowing the flavours to develop, until needed.
- To make the crispy tortilla pieces, heat ~2-3 cm of vegetable oil in a wok or saucepan for shallow frying. Once the oil is hot, add 1/2 of the tortilla pieces and cook until golden brown (~1-2 minutes). Remove from the oil and place onto a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat with remaining tortilla pieces. Set aside until needed.
- When ready to serve the salad, remove from the refrigerator, top with diced avocado and toss lightly. Sprinkle tortilla pieces on top and enjoy!
- 4 cobs of corn
- 1 cup natural yoghurt
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Lime wedges, to serve
- To make the basting sauce, combine yoghurt, garlic, paprika, zest, chilli and salt and pepper into a bowl.
- Preheat a grill pan or the BBQ.
- Pull down or remove the corn husks and using a pastry brush, coat the corn in the basting sauce.
- Place corn onto BBQ or grill pan and cook, turning and basting every 30-60 seconds until basting sauce is gone and the corn is tender (~5-7 minutes).
- Serve with a squeeze of lime juice.