I love the ease of meal preparation in Summer – throw some meat on the BBQ and serve it with some salad…simple!
This salad was particularly easy, as I pre-prepared most of it earlier in the day, between feeding Elise, while Mark and Claire were at Kinder and childcare, respectively. If you would prefer the beetroot and cauliflower to be warm, then it can most definitely be made just before serving.
Beetroot is a vegetable that grows very well for most of the year. We have heaps of it in the garden at the moment and it can stay there, within reason, until it is ready to be used (if they are getting too big, I’d recommend picking them as they can get quite woody). Pairing the beetroot with cauliflower, especially roasted cauliflower, is a great combination. The caramelisation of the roasted cauli works so well with the bitter-sweetness of the beetroot. You could also add some nuts or seeds to this salad for some crunch – walnuts, hazelnuts or peptise would work really well.
On this particular occasion, we had this salad with steak and sausages (for the kids), but it would be an excellent accompaniment to a fillet of salmon, white fish or chicken. The kids enjoyed it, once they actually tried it! I find this is often an issue with kids – they say they don’t like something before they have actually tried it, so we make them try something before they say they don’t like it, and in most cases, they do enjoy it.
Serves 4 as a side
- 3 medium beetroot, peeled
- 1/3 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 large handfuls of rocket leaves
- 50g feta
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 heaped tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Peel beetroot and cut into ~3cm x 3cm pieces and place into a bowl. Add 1 tbs honey, 1 tbs balsamic vinegar, 1 tbs olive oil and a sprinkling of salt and stir to coat. Place onto baking tray and bake for 45 minutes.
- Cut the cauliflower into medium sized florets and place into a bowl. Add 1 tbs olive oil and season with salt and pepper, stir to combine. Once the beetroot has been cooking for 25 minutes, add the cauliflower onto the same tray and cook for the remaining 20 minutes. Remove from the oven once the cauliflower is golden brown and the beetroot is tender. Allow to cool.
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients into small jar and shake well to combine.
- To assemble salad, place rocket into bowl, top with roast cauliflower and beetroot. Crumble feta over the top and dress. Gently toss to combine.