Salads really are quintessentially Summer. They are the perfect accompaniment to any meal, especially when the sun is shining and the weather is warm.
In December, I released an e-book dedicated to salads; Sensational Summer Salads, which is available here. Due to the work going into this e-book, I haven’t been so forthcoming with salads on my blog, so here is one of my favourite salads this Summer; a Grilled Peach, Tomato and Mozzarella Salad. I actually made this salad as one of our Christmas Day salads.
Not everyone is sold on the idea of a fruit in a salad, but trust me, when paired right, fruit in a salad can be a match made in heaven. Some of my favourites are: peach and rocket, apple or orange and fennel, zucchini and rockmelon, pear and rocket and apricot and any grain. If you’ve never tried fruit in a salad, do yourself a favour and give it a go.
This salad is really quick and easy to make and the peach and zucchini can be grilled ahead of time, leaving very little to do just prior to serving. If you can’t get mozzarella cheese then baby bocconcini also work really well.
You can use any type of tomatoes in this salad, however, a mixture of ordinary, heirloom and baby tomato varieties work well. Similarly, white or yellow peaches or nectarines would work, but I the yellow peach works best, in my opinion.
- 2 cups of rocket leaves
- 2 cups butter lettuce leaves, roughly torn
- 3-4 tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
- 2 yellow peaches, cut into 0.5cm wedges
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into ribbons
- 1/2 a small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 large ball of buffalo mozzarella
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large griddle pan over medium heat, add the peach slices and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Cook the zucchini ribbons for 1-2 minutes on each side until just soft, being careful not to overcook. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Put the rocket and lettuce leaves into a large serving bowl. Top with tomato slices, onion slices, as well as the grilled peach and zucchini (I like to roll the zucchini ribbons).
- In a small bowl, place the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and mix well to combine. Season to taste.
- Tear the buffalo mozzarella over the salad, drizzle over the dressing and gently toss to combine.