First of all, Merry Christmas from my family to yours. I hope that everyone had a safe and enjoyable Christmas, and my heart goes out to those who were unable to share Christmas this year with loved ones, due to the year that has been, and the lockdowns, border closures and other barriers that have put limitations in place. Here’s for a better 2021!
So, here we are again, another Christmas done, guests have gone home, and we are now left with a fridge full of leftovers. The obvious option is the good old cold meat and salad for days on end, which is great, but can get a little but boring, especially for the kids.
Last night, I made a pasta salad using leftover roast turkey, and it was delicious. We have just finished up lunch, which was a spread of cold ham with condiments, leftover pasta from last night, a Peachy Caprese Salad, which is in my Salad e-book, some fresh sourdough bread and some other vegetables. With at least 500g of ham on the bone left, I will be making this Ham and Asparagus Frittata for dinner tonight. It is a good way to use up some of your leftover ham, as well as the eggs that we have accumulating, due to eggs not being on the menu due to Christmas, and the chickens continuing to do their thing and pump out an egg each day!
I made this frittata earlier in December and it was demolished, an absolute hit with the kids. If asparagus isn’t your thing, you could add in some roast pumpkin, zucchini or even some beetroot. You could even make it into a quiche, if you have a bit more time to make some pastry. I am all for the easy option at the moment, so we will be having it without the crust.
I hope you enjoy this really quick and easy meal. xx.
- 200g leftover Christmas ham, chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 50g tasty cheese, grated
- 1 bunch of asparagus, cut into thirds
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbs chives
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC and prepare a quiche dish.
- Heat a medium pan over medium heat, add the slice onion and cook until soft, ~5-6 minutes. Place into the base of the dish.
- Add the chopped ham and half of the asparagus to the dish and top with grated cheese.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg, chives and milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mix over the top of the ham, onion and asparagus. Top with the remaining asparagus and cook for 30-35 minutes or until the egg is set. Enjoy!