It’s probably pretty clear that muffins are something that are baked, and eaten, quite regularly in this house.
The reason I tend to go for muffins is for a few reasons:
- They are quick and easy to make
- They can be appropriately portioned into whatever sized morsel you want
- They freeze really well, meaning you don’t have to feel like you are eating the same thing everyday for a week
- They are the perfect size for lunchboxes
I had some quinoa flour in the pantry and some pumpkin that needed using, which resulted in the creation of these Orange, Pumpkin and Date muffins. The dates provide a natural sweetness, while the juice and zest of the orange give the distinct citrus flavour, while the mashed pumpkin provides a good nutrition boost but also allows the muffin to retain it’s moisture and compliments the spice profile nicely. If you were wanting to add some crunch to these muffins, some slivered almonds or chopped walnuts would work quite nicely. I have chosen to not put nuts in these muffins as the kids will take them to school and kinder.
The first time I made these Orange, Pumpkin and Date muffins, I used only quinoa flour, which left a distinct after taste, which wasn’t offensive and no one complained, but I thought that I would make a few amendments to allow it to be more suitable to everyones palate. Often flours such as quinoa, buckwheat and chickpea flour have quite a strong flavour, so it is best to mix them with another type of flour, such as a wheat, spelt or even rice flour for a gluten free alternative.
I hope you enjoy these muffins for something a little bit different. xx.
- 3/4 cup peeled pumpkin, steamed and mashed
- 3/4 cup quinoa flour
- 3/4 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup dates, pitted and chopped, I used 3 medjool dates
- Zest of 1 orange, finely grated
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and prepare ~12-15 hole muffin tin.
- Peel pumpkin and chop into 1cm slices and place in a steamer basket and steam until soft. Allow to cool slightly and mash.
- Place the flours, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, spices, zest and dates into a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the eggs, orange juice, vanilla and the mashed pumpkin and mix well to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tray and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.