Sitting here on a cold Winter’s Day with the fire crackling in the background and listening to the rain pitter patter on the window, alternating with bouts of hail. The kids are asleep and having some quiet time and I am typing away, enjoying a cup of tea and a piece of this wholesome, warming Pear and Gingerbread Loaf. I can feel the spices warming my insides.
I have seen a few recipes for ginger loaves around lately, so I was inspired to create a gingerbread flavoured loaf. As I was putting my ideas down on paper, I noticed that we had a few pears that needed using in the fruit bowl, and so this Pear and Gingerbread Loaf was created.
If you don’t have spelt flour, ordinary wholemeal flour will work well, as will a white flour, but the white flour will produce a less wholesome loaf.
The whole family really enjoyed this loaf when it was warm with a generous spread of butter. it was still delicious 4 days later. I haven’t tried it, but I imagine that you could successfully freeze this loaf, however, stored in an airtight container, it was still delicious 4 days later. You could also toast a slice and enjoy it with butter or a drizzle of honey.
- 2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbs of grated ginger or finely chopped naked ginger
- 125g butter
- 1/2 cup golden syrup
- 2 eggs, lightly beated
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pear, diced
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a loaf pan with baking paper.
- Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Place the butter and golden syrup into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until melted.
- Add butter mixture, lightly beaten eggs, milk, yoghurt and vanilla to the dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Add the diced pear and fold through gently.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for ~45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.