Today the girls and I decided to do some baking and I was thinking about making some sort of slice, something apricot and almond, but not certain what. As we were looking through Claire’s bag of kinder activities for lockdown 2.0, we came across some Gruffalo inspired recipes, one of them was ‘Knobbly Knees’, essentially a honey joy with some nuts, dried fruit and chocolate. This was the exact inspiration I needed.
The main ingredient for Knobbly Knees was cornflakes, which we didn’t have, so instead we used puffed millet and didn’t really follow the recipe at all, but created these little Apricot, Almond and Chocolate Millet Cups. These little cups are the perfect snack for both kids and adults, they are versatile in that they can be made using whatever puffs, dried fruit and nuts that you have on hand.
These cups when made using millet are a gluten free snack, making them suitable for anyone who has coeliac disease or follows a gluten free diet. If you are making these for kids that need a nut-free snack for school, the nuts can be substituted for seeds and peanut butter can be swapped for tahini or more butter. The chocolate chips can be added before adding the butter mixture, however this will result in them melting and the whole mixture being a darker colour.
I hope you enjoy these quick and easy snacks xx.
- 60g puffed millet
- 40g almonds, roughly chopped
- 40g dried apricots, diced into small pieces
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- 100g butter
- 3 tbs honey
- 1 tbs peanut butter
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius and grease muffin tins or patty pans.
- Place millet, almonds, apricots and coconut into a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Place the butter, honey and peanut butter into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until melted and allow to bubble for ~1 minute. Cool slightly.
- Pour butter mixture over the millet mixture and mix well to coat. Add the chocolate chips and fold through.
- Place mixture into muffin tins or patty pans (I used silicone muffin trays) and press down slightly, sprinkle with a few choc chips and bake for ~ 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from the tray and store in an airtight container.